4. Electronics production¶
- characterize the design rules for your in-house PCB production process
- extra credit: send a PCB out to a board house
What I did in Week4¶
- Set up milling environment → In this page
- PCB Test production → In this page
- Design and Produce in-circuit programmer →Individual Page
The CNC machine we used¶
Genmitsu PROVerXL 4030
|Working area||400 x 300 x 110mm|
|Control Board Compatibility||GRBL 1.1h|
|Spindle||300W 6A, 12,000 RPM|
|Overall Machine Size||641 x 755.5 x 580mm|
|Collet (in package)||1/8” Shank|
- Cut board / Paper phenol
- FR1（Flame Retardant）
- FR grades are described by “FR-numbers”. The numbers range from 1 to 5, with FR-5 being the grade with the highest flame resistance. The higher the number, the more flame-resistant it is.
- Size: 100 x150 x1.6mm
- Cu layer: 35um = 0.035mm
- shank diameter :
- 1/8” = 3.17 mm
- for traces
- 1/64” endmill
- = 0.396748 mm
- SE : single end
- 2FL : two flute
- Altin coated : Calico Aluminum Titanium Nitride is a hard coating that solves many tribological problems with components that can be coated at temperatures of 450°C - 475°C
- (alternative) V-bit 0.2mm 30deg
- Because of the V-shape, it is a little difficult to control in some cases.
- Cheaper than 1/64 endmill
- 1/64” endmill
- for outline
- 1/32” endmill
- = 0.79375 mm
- SE / 2FL / Altin Coated
- (alternative) 0.7 mm
- 1/32” endmill
About CAM and Machine¶
- Build an environment to implement this that will be completed on my own PC.
- Fusion → Mods → g sender → Genmitsu PRO Ver XL
Set up milling environment¶
- Install CH340 Driver
Connect PROVerXL 4030 and power ON
- Connect to Machine -> Unrecognized devices -> /dev/tty.usbserial-10
homing : move the header to home position
rapid / normal / precise : how much the header move
- Click Load File and open SVG image.nc
- Download png.txt
- Open mods (MIT server)
- program > open local program > mill_2D_PCB_svg.txt > open
- select png file and import file
set and calcurate
load image.nc in gsender
Fix PCB on workplace by double-coated adhesive tape and set endmill at the header.
Adjust the position to the grinding position and Push “Zero all”
Caution: When aligning the Z, I put a paper between the ground and the endmill to fine-tune the needle position. Lower the header until the paper tears.
Set the header position as Zero. and Push “Start Job”
However, It works once by pushing “Start Job”, but it occured the error and stop soon.
We need to start again and get rid of the bug.
After push “Reset2 and “Go to XY0”, I broke the endmill because the z-axis was too low 😭
so edit the code of gSender to remove bug of LINE 9.
Opened g-code and found what line 9 is.
Open “path to G-code” node in mods
comment out “G04~~” and “T” + tool + “M06~~~”
Set “cut depth” 0.2mm
Save local programm as text and html so as not to need to edit gSender code again.
Open local program in mods -> png -> generate g-code again
Read g-code into gSender -> worked with 1/64 end mill with 0.2 mm depth
Try again to push “Start Job” Finish to make Interior.
Next, cut outline in the same way.
Generate g-code with 1/32 -> g-code -> gSender
-> Changed tool 1/64 to 1/32 -> milled
Finish the LineTest Board.
remove the sticky double-sided tape by solvent