17. Applications and implications¶
For this week until the end of the course we must focus on our final project. Specifically during this week, we have to develop a project plan and define the scope.
Wireless Door Sensor¶
What will it do?¶
A wireless Door Sensor that triggers a notification to the smartphone and sends an email to the police or other people. I decided to do this project because when many people take vacations they may stay abroad for many days or even weeks and it can be a good solution for their peace and safety having this device.
Who’s done what beforehand?¶
I was looking for previous projects in the Fab Academy site to have any references and I have not found a home security devices. However, I found some projects that can help me a lot, for example: - To follow a workflow, the Help button of Jimena Galvez Paredes will be very useful and has many tips for using WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity. - To get a good explanation related to how to connect the microcontroller with the tool to create the app, this is my Indispensable Pill Case of Griffin Van horne
What will you design?¶
- Internal and external extructure
- PCB design
- Interface programming
What materials and components will be used?¶
Material: - PLA filament (3D printer) - Acrylic (Laser cutter)
Components: - Microcontroller (ESP32) - PIR Sensor - LED: Green and Red - Resistors - capacitors - Voltage Regulator - Batteries - Pinheads - Buttons
Where will it come from?¶
The components and materials I need I will order from suppliers like DigiKey, Amazon or AZ-delivery. In the list below are the links to order the components.
How much will they cost?¶
What processes will be used?¶
- The digital design process will be developed in Fusion360.
- The structure will be made by 3d printing processes.
- The electronic boards will be made by precision milling processes
- The components and sensors will be soldered by hand.
- The electronic programming part will be developed using Arduino.
- The interface programming part will be developed using MIT App Inventor
What questions need to be answered?¶
- How to order all the electronic components such as the PIR sensor whit the main boards
- Figure out how to send the e-mail coding.
- Sending data from ESP32 to database in app.
- External structure fits on the board.
How will it be evaluated?¶
The wireless door sensor will be a success if the PIR sensor detects each state it means that would recognize when door is closed or opened. Then, when the door is open the connection must send this information to the smartphone. Finally, the sending of the e-mail to the specified recipient is tested.