14. Invention, intellectual property and income¶
Patents are expensive and useless if you haven’t an army of lawyers, so I go to a creative commons license. Because I want to make a retrofit kit for owners of the same litter and may be sell a few one, I choose this license, with this I let people reproduce my work for personal purpose but not sell or modify it :
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
I will split this project in 2 versions :
- a basic version with just a replacement board and new front cover to have a better reliability than the original board
- an extended version with network connectivity, but for this I have to also work on data. Let user do all configuration and find free or paid platform or install their own system? Or use my own server and host all ?
To avoid a very high price, may be I have to remove tag reader or work on my own cheaper reader, the actual reader cost 40€ just for this part.
Here a quick resume of the split of versions :
For the fabAcademy, in order to finish in time, I focus on offline version. I choose to work in spirals.
Spiral 1 (FabAcademy target) :
- new front cover
- SAMD21E board that uses sensors and TFT + touchscreen (use the lolin screen I have at Agrilab)
- A4953 driver
Spiral 2 :
- rework electronic on a smaller optimized board after validating PoC on spiral 1
- find another ILI9341 + XPT2046 touchscreen without wemos dedicated pins (use less space)
- rework front cover to a thinner one
When spiral 2 will be completed and fully tested, I can launch a first batch.
Spiral 3 and more :
- work on online addon & cat tracking
And after, if it takes too many times of if I want to focus on another project, I will change it to a full free license and switch to http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/
Draft presentation video full screen here :
And the slide fullscreen here :