1. Principles and practices¶
This week I worked on defining my final project idea and started to getting used to the documentation. I learned the basics of GitLab and Markdown. I practiced sizing images to 1000 horizontal pixels max compressing files with gimp. I reviewed and collated my notes on my final project idea called Fab Shop. Fab Shop is a set of machines you build yourself in a regular fab lab that can together reproduce themselves without the need for a Fab Lab. Each Fab Shop machine will cost ~$300 each to build. Individuals and small groups that cannot afford a fully equipped fab lab will use the Fab Shop to get a basic set of digital fab machines in place. I imagine Fab Shop setups in garages, apartments and small community shop spaces. This will allow better scaling of digital fabrication per the Fab City concept. See my project page for more info.
I communicated my initial project proposal to my coach at Incite Focus Detroit.
I learned to replace images in my repository with my own images.
Above on MarkDown MD format
Above in HTML format
Markdown and HTML 5 Notes¶
www.w3schools.com is an awesome site to learn about and test html code!
Issues with mp4 video codecs¶
I was having some issues with my mp4 files working. After talking to Neil he suggested testing by using mp4 videos already on the cba site. I did this and those videos worked. In my search for how to encode video for git hub / lab I found the following useful site: Encoding video for the web by: Vestride
Using the site above as a guide, I installed and used ffmpeg to allow me to convert my videos made in kdenlive to a codec that would work properly
ffmpeg -an -i input.mov -vcodec libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p -profile:v baseline -level 3 output.mp4
After using the above code I tested with the following videos to see if things worked.
<video width="640" height="480" controls autoplay loop muted> <source src="https://fabacademy.org/2020/labs/incitefocus/students/daniel-meyer/files/week06/video/3BridgeTestFocusFun.mp4" type="video/mp4"> </video>
It fraking worked!