W02 - Computer-Aided Design¶
1. Weekly Assignments ( -> what I did this week )¶
- Model (raster, vector, 2D, 3D, render, animate, simulate, …) a possible final project, compress your images and videos, and post it on your class page ( -> This week, I tried several CAD software, and made the simple model of my Potential Final Project. )
Questions from “Fab Academy 2020 Assignments and Assessment¶
( -> my answers )¶
- Modelled experimental objects/part of a possible project in 2D and 3D software ( -> tried GIMP, FreeCAD, sketchup, fusion360 )
- Shown how you did it with words/images/screenshots ( -> see the next paragraph )
- Included your original design files ( - > fusion360 file )
2. Description of Assignment work¶
Evaluate & select, Demonstrate & describe processes used in modeling with 2D and 3D software¶
(1) 2D raster¶
I installed GIMP, and painted some lines.
The characteristic of raster CAD was confirmed, by magnifying the part of the above.
(2) 2D vector¶
I installed FreeCAD, and drew some lines.
The characteristic of vector CAD was confirmed, by magnifying the part of the above.
whole image detail
fusion360 ( sketch )¶
Taking this opportunity, I wanted to make something practical. So, I made a “iPad supporter for MacBook” ( in my case, auxiliary monitor instead of iPad ).
modeling in fusion360 ( sketch )
- laser cutting
I used 0.5mm PET (polyethylene terephthalate) plate.
|masking tape for bending the PET plate|
(3) 3D CAD¶
sketchup ( sketchy physics ( physical simulator ) )¶
- “sketchy physics” is a physical simulator as a plug-in of sketchup. I installed them and tried simple example. Although the file ran with sketchup2013 on my MacBook, “sketchy physics” is not supported on the newer version of sketchup.
Rhinoceros + Grasshopper ( + Kangaroo )¶
- ( I’ll try parametric design and physical simulation, when I have a time. )
- I’ll use fusion360 to proceed my final project, because this system has necessary functions such as 2D sketch, 3D modeling, assembles, joints, etc.
- Then, I made simple model of my final project, which shows some outline of the project. The details will be designed later in accordance with this fab academy course.
tree-structure of the components, and the drive simulator
generator and slider ( corresponds to the pedals of bicycle )
|shaft, bearing, pulley||rotor, stater|
3. Important Learning Outcome¶
- I think “FreeCAD” is a powerful open source system which has variety of functions, although the interface is a little difficult to understand.
- Also, I feel a great possibility of the Rhino + Grasshopper ( + Optimus ) which can handle the multi-objective optimization problem.
4. Links to Files and Code¶
( to download the files, click here )
GIMP file GIMP_sample.xcf
FreeCAD file freecad sample.FCStd
“iPad supporter for MacBook” monitor supporter rev1 v7.f3d
Final Project “generator” gen assy v1.f3d
Final Project “drive simulator” simulator assy.f3d