1b. Project management¶
In this week, I build my first website, and find some nice tool to simplify my workflow~
- I use emacs org-mode to take nokes before, so it takes me a few time to learn to use Atom and Markdown to write something
- vaibhav-saxena’s site I like the web he made! That’s so cool!
Terminal & Environment¶
Some of the tools we will use works better in Linux than Windows. So I choose to use linux to build my website.
I have installed WSL2 before. Let me show you how to install it.
- Search WSL or linux in windows Store.
- I will installed Ubuntu.
- Launch it.
BTW, WSL works good, in the picture below you can see that I can run linux application in windows directly!
- Before start, don’t forget to update the package library (with sudo, admin right)
- Let’s check if my ubuntu have python, because mkdocs need it.
It seems I have python3
- Check and install pip, because I need it to install mkdocs.
- Then, check them all.
Install mkdocs with pip (because I want to run the site locally to test it).
It is better to follow the mkdocs official guide
- To install the mkdocs, I met network problem as below. Someone point it is because the offical library is hard to connect in China, so I need download it from mirror link like tsinghua mirror source.
pip install -i https://pypi.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn/simple mkdocs
- I also need to install the
mkdocs-materialbecause our sample site use it.
This is a kind of theme of mkdocs that tons of people use it. 964k/mouth downloads of it when I download it. about 100 times of the second one.
pip install -i https://pypi.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn/simple mkdocs-material
mkdocs-git-revision-date-localized-pluginis also needed. it enables displaying the date of the last git modification of a page. Our sample site use it.
Learn more about it, you can go to this plugin github page
pip install -i https://pypi.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn/simple mkdocs-git-revision-date-localized-plugin
Git & fabcloud¶
We will use git to complete our version control workflow. Before use it, I have to make some configuration
- generate a new .ssh key
- login in to fabcloud with
cat yang_fabcloud.pub, and then copy all the public key.
- go to the SSH Keys setting of your account, add a new key with the public key just copied.
- Because I have had a key setting with my personal github account. so in this step, I have to make a config file, in order to tell the program that when I work with fabcloud, use key
- Okay, now I clone my page repositories to the
/mnt/cmeans the C disk in the Windows is mount on the linux, so I can also check the local folder
Edit my site¶
I used to use
emacsto write my own bullet journal, note something important, and generate a nice network UI with packages to make my journal workflow convenient.
It’s a really powerful tool but hard to learn ya;)
This time I switch to
Atom to write my pages, and maybe build a nice knowledge network with
emacs in the future.
After edit the weekly assignment pages, click
Stage All button in the
Atom or enter
git add -A to mark all the modified files in the git workflow.
Then write something and click
Commit to master or enter
git commit -m 'something'
git push and enter the password of ssh.
BTW, I didn’t try to config my fabcloud gitlab account in
Atom so far, so I don’t use
Atom to push.
Speak of the git tutorial, I watched his videos when I was a beginner. Nice tutorial, but Chinese only. (Thanks!)
In windows11, it is easy to capture the whole screen with
Win+PrtSc, and the screenshots will be stored in
In addtion, I can also use
Win+Shift+S to capture a part of my screen.
png 2 jpg¶
FormatFactory to convert pngs to jpgs. it’s convenient and easy to use
This is a powerful tool that Microsoft make, which use original Windows API to do some nice function. In my workflow, I use
picture compress and
power rename tools.
You can download it
Select the pics I want to compress and right click. Then choose the
adjust the image size.
Set as you need, and then
I use the
powerrename tool in
Select the files, then right click and choose
In my case, I replace the
a in my files’ name with