Moulding and Casting
:confused: Not yet updated for 2019 evaluation standards
- Review the safety data sheets for each of your molding and casting materials
- Make and compare test casts with each of them
- Design a 3D mould around the stock and tooling that you'll be using, machine it, and use it to cast parts.
- Design appropriate objects within the limitations of 3 axis machining
- Demonstrate workflows used in mould design, construction and casting
- Explained how you designed your 3D mould and created your rough and finish toolpaths for machining
- Shown how you made your mould and cast the parts
- Described problems and how you fixed them
- Included your design files and ‘hero shot’ photos of the mould and the final object
Should I read the MSDS and TDS this week?
Answer: Yes, always.
I want to only make a wax mould, and cast something in it. Is that acceptable?
Answer: Only after you learn and go through the 3 step process. To break the rules, you have to master the rules.
Can I 3D print the mold? Can I do a lasercut?
Answer: No, for this assignment you must mill the mould using a CNC milling machine.