APPLICATIONS FOR FAB ACADEMY NODES ARE OPEN UNTIL NOVEMBER 2019
“Fab Academy Nodes” or “Nodes” are those Fab Labs that offered or are willing to offer the Fab Academy course.
It is important to understand that, in order to offer Fab Academy, the physical space and infrastructure is as important as the people instructing the course. Fab Labs need trained people in order to offer Fab Academy and this training is the program itself. To instruct Fab Academy you need to have taken Fab Academy.
To become a Fab Academy Node you need the following requirements:
1. A PHYSICAL SPACE and the INFRASTRUCTURE:
Internet connection (at least 1mb upload/download). A common space for students to work Access to the Fab Lab facilities for a minimum of 20 hrs per week All the equipment and materials of a Fab lab, listed in the Fab Inventory.
2. QUALIFIED STAFF to run the course:
A Fab Academy Graduate
QUALIFIED STAFF REQUIREMENTS
Fab Academy is a unique educational experience, not only based on the transmission of content but also in the kind of interactions that happen between Instructors, Mentors, and Students, in a peer-driven environment. This is why the experience of having done the course once is key to be able to run the course.
So, to offer the Fab Academy program in any Fab Lab, you need a person that graduated from the course before, a Fab Academy Graduate.
3. A STUDENTS WORKGROUP:
New Nodes: a minimum of 3 students is mandatory. Nodes: a minimum of 3 students is recommended.
4. APPLICATION FORM
To fill the application form, for us to confirm the intention of any particular fab lab to run the course.
According to skills and experience, an Instructor can be:
- Novice Instructor: a graduate, never instructed the course before
- Junior Instructor: instructed the course for 1 or 2 consecutive cycles
- Senior Instructor: instructed the course for 3 or more consecutive - cycles
- Mentor: instructed the course for more than 3 cycles + has peer recognition as such + is an active member of the Fab Academy and Academany community
It is important to understand that the Node’s taxonomy is related to the experience of the Instructor, NOT the NODE. A physical space cannot hold experience, an Instructor can.
Therefore, according to the experience of the Instructor, a Node can be:
- New Node: run by a Novice Instructor. Needs direct Support from Guru/Mentor in the Instruction and the Evaluation processes. This support is covered by Local Costs.
- Node: run by a Junior Instructor. Needs soft Support from Guru/Mentor in the Evaluation processes. This support is covered by Central Costs.
- Expert Node: Stand alone Instructor, no extra support mandatory.
Nodes: Application & Assessment Process
- All Fab Labs fill an Online form to register a Fab Academy NODE.
- Node’s applications will be reviewed by senior Instructors (mentors), Assessment Process, in order to assess their suitability to offer the program > Application does not mean Acceptance automatically.
- Fab Labs will receive written confirmation of participation and will be added to the listed of active Nodes on the website and the student’s application form.
- Application implies Fab Labs understand and accept the basic requirements of the program, the responsibilities and roles expected from local team.
Deadlines for Application
Applications for Fab Labs to become Fab Academy Nodes open from September 1st to November 1st, every year.
Instructors: Application Process
Once the Nodes filled their application and are accepted to run the course, their Instructors may be asked to undergo an application process to assess their skills and decide the level of “independence” to face the course alone.
- Instructors must also fill a Registration Form to declare their intention to become an active instructor in a specific Node.
- To fill this application, Instructors will be asked to submit a Motivation letter. This letter should include some relevant and interesting insights about yourself, your technical skills, to prove that you are motivated. It must also include your Teaching Philosophy Statement.
- Mentors will review the Instructor Application to assess their suitability to offer the program > Application does not mean Acceptance automatically.
- Mentors may require extra information or documents to ensure all the requirements are met, and may also require a personal Interview (Via online conference)
- Mentors will advise on the status of the Instructor and the need or not for extra support.
- Agreement: Upon acceptance, Instructors will receive an Agreement Document stating the basic requirements of the program, which they must send back signed.
Students: Application Process
- Applicants select a Lab from the listed Nodes by filling an Application online form.
- Once Central Coordination starts receiving the applications, we forward them to the selected and accepted Nodes for their consideration.
- The Nodes must contact the Applicant to assess if they are fit for the program and give feedback to Central Coordination within 2 weeks.
- Central Coordination will send an Acceptance letters + Payment Instructions to applicants in monthly batches.
- Once the Applicant receives an Acceptance letter and pays the Tuition deposit, he/she becomes a Student.
Fab Academy Tuition Fees
The Fab Academy Tuition fee is variable: the price is comprised by fix Central Costs and floating Local Costs. See the Cost Structure section.
Reimbursements of Local Costs to Nodes will be done in 2 installments:
- 50% of local costs in early-March, after every student has paid the corresponding fees, according to the payment deadline (70% of fees before mid-January). Local Labs must send an invoice to Central Administration between the 1st – 5th of February.
- 50% of local costs in mid-September, after every student has paid full fees. Local Lab must send an invoice to Central Administration in late July.