1. Principles and practices¶
I read the Fab Charter in order to get an idea of what Fab Academy provides.
The inspiration for the project was a suggestion made by my engineering teacher. My initial project idea is to create a wand that tracks motion and responds in some way.
I envision that the wand can cause a response in two ways:
- The processor in the wand recognizes the motion data and sends a response over Wi-Fi to an IP address
- A simple matching algorithim
- Potentially a simple neural network depending on available processing power
- Could be a simple POST/GET request to a PHP webapp
- The wand continously sends motion data over Wi-Fi to a computer/phone for more powerful motion recognition models.
- Neural networks
- Gradient boosting machines
- Google has several machine learning libraries for Android phones
- Could explore Apple’s machine learning options on iOS
- Requires a socketed server to continuously accept data
In addition, I plan to track motion through a 9-axis IMU. However, I could have two IMUs and determine rotation of the wand as well. Another idea, is to have one accelerometer for velocity and a gyroscope for rotation.
In order to facilate usage of the wand, there a buttons on the wand that could perform tasks such as recording gestures and linking that gesture to a customizable action.
Another concern is being a able to fit that many components into a relatively confined space. I need to fit atleast one method of tracking, a power source, a processor, buttons, and a PCB that connect the components together.
Rough plan of events
- Week 5 - Designing a long and narrow PCB that can fit in the wand
- Week 9 - Designing a simple and computationaly cheap gesture recognition algorithim that works on a microprocessor chip
- Week 11 - Reading input from gyroscopes, accelerometers, and/or 9-axis IMU
- Week 12 - Testing out communication via bluetooth chips
- Week 14 - Testing out transmission and reception of motion data using Wi-Fi chips
- Week 16 - Designing an app or website that manages the actions of the gestures