I have created a posture corrector as my final project of the FabLab academy.
I talked to some specialist and they told me that it was important not only to measure how the muscles are being stretch but also to have a sensor on the neck to check wether the head is in a good angle. That is why my project has incorporates:
I designed the two boards that I needed for this project using Eagle. Both of them have an independent board with the Bluetooth as they are connected through the SPI connector. More information about this boards can be found on the Output week and the Networking week.
Once I had designed the board I milled them using the Modela MDX20 machine with mods and I soldered the different components.
For this project I 3D designed the boxes where I was going to place. These boxes had some requirements like:
I decided to do these boxes with the 3D printer and not cast them because the boards need to be reprogramed and like this I can access them.
One of the tools that I used to check the pattern measurements was the 3D scanner. Like this I could ensure that the measurements that I had taken were the correct ones. Also, more information can be found on the Wildcard week.
I used the Laser cutter to cut the different components of the t-shirt. When fabric is cut with the laser cutter it tends to fold as is being cut so I used an adhesive that doesn't leave stains for it to be cut perfectly!
I had to learn how to sew! And sew all the different components together. I first started by sewing the conductive thread on the V decoration of the back. The reason of doing it like this is to avoid the skin conact between the conductive thread and the body.
I also lef an open pocket on the bottom part of the t-shirt so I can make the thread connection between the snaps and the board.
As part of my t-shirt design I designed the logo of my project. At first I tried different combinations. I was trying to combine something were you could see the body posture with technology. I finally decided to stay with this as the logo : I scaled it and I convert it to one color in order to cut it with the vinyl cutter.
Once I had everything I started to integrate them. I placed the boards inside the boxes, putting the conductive thread through the holes of the box and connecting it to the t-shirt on the snaps. The two boxes can be separated from the t-shirt; the conductive thread one is attatched to the t-shirt with velcro and the accelerometer board with a clamp as it can be seen in the pictures.
For the project I developed an app using App inventor. This app makes the connection with the bluetooths of the boards and is able to receive whenever the subject is in a good or in a bad position. The result of this app working can be seeing at the end of the presentation video!
The project now is able to measure when the subjec is in a bad or good position in both the head and the back and I can send this information to the phone from both boards independently. What I would like to do in future approaches is to stablish the phone as the master and connect both boards at the same time to the app.
I would like to keep improving this project as this is the first prototype. I would try to reduce the size of the boards and the boxes so they are a bit more compat.
I also have in mind combining the accelerometer with a giroscope to be able to count at the same time the steps of the person when is walking.
The project is working for now, I would just want to make it more complete and add the different things that I had said before.
One of the things that I would like to know is how to communicate the bluetooths with the apps of Android studio to be able to creae the app in that enviroment.
During the FabAcademy I have learned a wide range of things. I have learned a lot from each assignment individually but in general I have learned how to put them all together and create things that I didn't think I could! I also have improved how to organize myself better when completing different tasks.
I have created with the different things that I need for my project. You can acces by clicking on this link. There I have written down all the things that I need for the project, it's value, quantity and price.