Applications & Implications
propose a final project that integrates the range of units covered:
- what will it do?
Robtito is a project designed by Ian Jones a 7 yr old who loves robots & technology! The idea behind this project is to create a playbook for children of his age to get acquainted with the materials, processes and machines that are available at a Fab Lab. The project incorporates all the Fab Academy modules to create the robot.
- who's done what beforehand?
Other projects to introduce digital fabrication into schools are FabLabKids from Fab Lab Barcelona & Stanford Fab@School
- what materials and components will be required?
The materials needed to create Robtito are:
- PCB to create circuits (input, output & networking)
- Electronic Components
- One Speaker (robot body) Monacor Miniature Flush - Mount Speakers, 8 Ω - SP-23/4RDP
- One Proximity Sensor (robot eyes) Rohs Sharp GP2Y0A21YK
- Wax & Silicon for Molding & Casting (robot shoes)
- where will they come from?
The materials will be bought at local stores. The electronics store is Onda Radio, the PLA at MakerStore BCN & the cardboard at the Abacus Coop. There is another possibility which is to recycle the materials (second hand) from cardboard from shoe boxes, .
- how much will it cost?
- what parts and systems will be made?
- 3D printed joints
- A Barduino that will allow for the Input (proximity sensor), Output (speaker voice) that will reproduce sound when someone gets close to the robot.
- what processes will be used?
- Laser Cutting
- 3D printing
- Molding & Casting
- Electronics Production (Input, Output & Networking)
- 2D Design for logo, playbook with instructions & a vinyl design to make each robot to make it unique.
- Web Development for product page
- 3D Design for Robot
- what tasks need to be completed?
- Create round corners so it will be safe for children
- Redesign the 3D joints to make sure that they will fit tightly with the nut & screws
- Make an Barduino board for the interaction (input, output & networking)
- Prepare the robot body files in a layout that can be laser cut from a shoe box.
- Create the 3D design of the shoes for molding & casting
- Design the Playbook for children to grasp the concepts behind all the processes that compose the robot and that are part of Fab Academy at a Fab Lab
- what questions need to be answered?
How can I get the proximity sensor to be able to trigger the speaker to make a sound
- what is the schedule?
Currently I am working on making an illustrator file with the body of the robot to test the joints since the first prototype had the
- how will it be evaluated?
The robot will be evaluated by Ian Jones (the robot designer) who will have to explain all the modules that made up the robot in order to make sure that he properly understands the playbook & the robot.
projects can be separate or joint, but need to show individual mastery of all of the skills where possible, you should make rather than buy the parts of your project academy.cba.mit.edu