Cost breakdown structure
In the case of full functioning nodes (expert nodes) the tuition is split 50% between local costs and 50% that’s paid centrally for shared costs outside of the lab.
The local part of the tuition ($2,500) is divided into four parts:
- 25% ($625) is for direct student expenses. Consumables and materials for projects.
- 25% ($625) is for facilities. Purchasing machines and running costs for space.
- 25% ($625) is for operations. This includes running the class, placing orders, scheduling meetings, tracking students.
- 25% ($625) is for instruction. Individual technical guidance.
The global part of the tuition ($2,500) is also divided into four parts:
- 25% ($625) is for the faculty. This covers preparing and delivering the lectures, running global reviews, and developing curriculum.
- 25% ($625) is for operations. This includes the regional supervision, and direct support for the class such as recording its videos.
- 25% ($625) is for administration. This is for common costs across classes, including managing finances, running logistics, keeping records, and supporting servers.
- 25% ($625) is for student support. This covers the review and accreditation of student work, registration for graduation at the FABx events, and contributions towards scholarships.
New (beginner) Nodes, training their future trainers, need a remote Guru to take care of both the operations and instruction. So 25% of the tuition fees go to the Remote Guru.
Intermediate Nodes are those Labs with recently graduated Instructors (1st year) that can take care operations but need mentoring from remote gurus. This means 12,5% of tuition fees goes to Remote Gurus.
Finally, in an Expert Node both operations and instructors are local. This means labs get 50% of students fees stays in the lab.
All the labs are grouped around larger super-node sites that support local supply chains for specialized materials, mentor more advanced skills and offer more advanced capabilities, manage regional reviews of student work, and supervise the evaluation of student progress. These costs are cover from central costs.
For any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org