Introduction to Academany Costs
The content from all Academany courses is free, all the classes and documentation are available for anyone. Students pay the set of services attached to each program such as instruction and support, evaluation, hosting of documentation, among others.
Academany educational programs’ tuition fees are based in the combination of 2 costs:
- Local Costs > the costs needed to run the course in the local Fab Lab that hosts the program
- Central Costs > infrastructural costs and services provided by Academany Central
The Fab Academy tuition fee is comprised by Central Costs and Local Costs.
Central Costs are fixed: 2500$/€
Local Cost may be variable
The Standard price for the course is 5000 USD/€
Local Costs are variable, decided by the node. They can calculate how much the local costs are and add this price to the central cost. The local cost must cover: materials, operations, access to facilities and instruction.
The Local Costs covers:
- Direct student expenses. Consumables and materials for projects.
- Facilities. Purchasing machines and running costs for space.
- Operations. This includes running the class, placing orders, scheduling meetings, tracking students.
- Instruction. Individual technical guidance.
The Central Costs are fixed: $2,500 or €2500 in European countries. This covers:
- Faculty: preparing and delivering the lectures, running global reviews, and developing curriculum.
- Operations: regional supervision, mentoring, and direct support for the class such as recording its videos.
- Administration: common costs across classes, including managing finances, running logistics, keeping records, and supporting servers.
- Student support: review and accreditation of student work, registration for graduation at the FABx events, and contributions towards scholarships.
New (beginner) Nodes, are those Labs with recently graduated Instructors that can take care operations but need mentoring from remote gurus. New nodes must cover the Remote Gurus costs which is based on 625$ per student.
Finally, in an Expert Node both operations and instructors are local.
For any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org