Week #5

First of all, I had to get familiar with printers and test them, understand their working principles. For that, we started our group assignment, we download some test models from the internet and start printing them. In our lab, we have two MakerBot 2 Replicators, one MakerBot Replicator Mini, and Ender-3. With bigger ones, we had some printing quality issues but the smaller one was okay. Ender was printing surprisingly well.

MakerBots are using their own software which is pretty simple and user-friendly. For Ender, we used Ultimaker Cur 4.5 software which was pretty familiar with MakerBot’s soft.

While testing I understood that in 3d printing we have some important parameters and features. For example, layer height, which is important for quality, infill, which is essential for strongness, supports, which are very important if you are going to print something complicated. The most hated part for me was adjusting the table.

Experience

Then after testing them and having no background in printing, I started designing. The challenge was to design and print something that could not be made subtractively. As the person who loves computer-aided design and works with CNC machines and why not as the Person whos regional instructor is the pioneer in the 3d printing industry I would like to make something interesting. I had some trouble with ideas about what to design, the problem is that already everything is designed and printed. Then I gave up thinking about printing something new. The first thing which I designed was a hinge. The had two parts and I made so that it can be printed at once. the challenge was to choose the right tolerances so it could be functional and make it not to become one piece. Surprisingly it was printed relatively fast and without any problem. I have been shocked when it works as well. For this print, I used the MakerBot mini and white filament.

screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot

As a petrolhead, the second thing that I decided to design was a small engine that is already assembled with a crankshaft, pistons, connecting rods and block. It took to long to design, I spent all my day. Then the hall started I tried to print it four times and al the time something goes wrong. The first time I was printing without a build plate and a small part (handle) go away. The second time it was printing okay until I decided to pot som supports manually and paused the printer, put supports and after resuming It had trouble with axes. Actually even it finished printing successfully the model wouldn’t work because of thin walls of connecting rods and wrong supports. The third time I changed the model, make the walls of connecting rods thicker, and block’s walls thinner to make it print faster, designed custom supports in Fusion 360. Start printing without a build plate and after 20 minutes of printing the support has broken. Last I couldn’t say what would go wrong because I was writing this while it was printing. Adding the following sentences after it finished printing. It was not ideal I broke one connecting rods while removing the supports, then I tried to rotate the crankshaft but It was stuck to solve that I start moving each connection with a knife to broke the unneeded connections. (To solve that maybe I to make tolerances bigger) That helped and the engine got untucked it starts rotating but only 90 degrees. I risked and slowly rotate the shaft making a little bit of power luckily it worked but It was striking in one position each rotation. I continue rotating it carefully and finally, it starts rotating freely.

screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot

scanning


To be honest I liked printing more than scanning.
In our lab to scan something we are using Xbox’s Kinect, as software for that, we use Kscan3d, Interesting soft which I don’t like.
For scanning, we made a light bar using LEDs, bring a high rotating chair from the second floor and start scanning me. We tried to scan
me 3 times and all the time I had 2 noses. then we scanned another member of our group and with his nose everything was okay, then we
scanned me again and finally, I got something familiar with a human. One of the problems I had with scanning was working with mesh and
combining them, trying to adjust them. Second try with scanning was using photogrammetry, to do scanning with that method I need to take
photos of the object which is going to be scanned from various angles, the put all photograpies in program. In my case the program was Recoup
photo from Autodesk. The problem was that it takes to much time to create mesh.

screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot screenshot

Conclusion

I think this week is my favorite one, it was interesting and contains some challenges. One of the goal at this week was understanding difference between subtractive and additive manufacturing and getting interested in 3d printing. I think in future I will use this skills very often.

Files

Engine.stl Engine.f3d hingr.f3d