Interface and application programming¶
Compare as many tool options as possible
In the group, we tested mainly 2 options:
- The easy way (as Gilles): using Python with Tkinter and Pyserial.
- And the hard way (as Axel), who worked on an Inkscape plugin using Python, to interface our machine.
Comparing the results, we can highlight several points:
- Tkinter and Pyserial are simple libraries that allow a quick learning curve, and a basic use can be enough to collect or send simple data.
- However, they are limited. As example, Tkinter become quiclky havy and complex if you want more fancy interfaces. For example, here is the interface that Gilles obtained: not fancy at all but functional.
- More, if you want more complex interfaces, for example to control a machine, you’ll need other tools, that become more complicated to use, but allow more possibilities, as Axel did and documented.