- design a machine that includes mechanism+actuation+automation
- build the passive parts and operate it manually
- document the group project and your individual contribution
Node : Fablab Kamakura
Group members :
Circuit Plotting Machine Using Conductive Ink (Agic)
Making flexible circuit with vinyl cutter often mentioned in the Fabacademy lectures.
However, it requires certain degree of mastery and a lot of effort (time) to make such flexible boards with vinyl cutter. Therefore, we’d like to implement conductive ink pens with CNC plotting machine to achieve rapid fabrication of flexible circuits.
Materials we referd to:
In order to grasp what we are making, we made mockup Core XY system with card boards.
Get an understanding of how Core XY system works with two key motors.
Draw diagram to clarify how the movement of the stage corresponds to rotation of the motors.
This image describes the mechanism we adopted to build Core XY machinary.
We laser-cut 5mm clear acrylic board to make enclosure for our Core XY system.
Brass shafts and linear bushes are from Monotaro: online retailer brand in Japan (Refer to the Bill of material at the bottom of this page).
For the individual documentation regarding design and fabrication process of the acrylic enclosure, check Kai Naito’s documentation page.
In Core XY system, the rubber belts have to be fixed at the stage. We designed and 3D printed parts that can hold four ends of rubber band firmly and slides smoothly on the two center shafts.
Design process documentation is available at Doyo Daisuke’s documentation page.
The schematic (http://www.instructables.com/id/CoreXY-CNC-Plotter/)
There are two stepping motors for driving Core
We used Marlin, open source 3D printer firmware, to control motors according to the Gcode processed from Inkscape.
To see the developing processes, visit Jun Kawahara’s documentation page.
Plotted image Inverted
We assume we could solve this problem by rewriting the code that modulates motor direction.
Acrylic enclosure broke
Need to come up with better design to reduce load.
First aided broken part. Structure needed to be reviced.
*For solved issues and how we deal with them, check individual documentation page
(We ended up not using some of the parts in Ramps kit such as Arduino motor driver shield)